Thursday, March 31, 2011

All in Favor?

About a month ago, we had a meeting for After Hours and I was asked to join the board of directors. I wasn't expecting this AT ALL so they told me I could pray about it and we'd discuss it again at the next meeting. Well, our next meeting is Sunday so I'll be voted in... that is, as long as they all still want me ;)

I've been reading up on non-profits with my handy dandy Nonprofit Kit for Dummies book and the other day I skipped ahead to learn more about being on the board:

You don't want just anybody to serve on your board. You want to choose the wealthiest, most generous members of your community who believe in what you're doing, will come to all your meetings, be advocates for your programs, provide honest and ethical oversight to the organization, and sweep the floor on weekends.

Wait... what?? ::Turns Page::

You won't find many board members who fit this description.

ummm you think?

Even so, the following three traits are critical to the success of the organization:

*Believing in your mission
*Being a good advocate on behalf of your programs
*Serving the organization as a careful and honest board member

Whew! Those Dummie authors had me going for a second there!


As you can see, this only scratches the surface of some of the changes this ministry is going through. Prayers are always appreciated! :)

No comments: