Monday, September 29, 2008

Light Vs. Dark

I had the weirdest experience tonight where God's reign in every one's life, Christian or not, became very real to me in a way I had never seen it before. I realized this reign can be shown in two ways... either we embrace His power and allow Him to control our lives, or we run from His power which causes fear and shame in our lives.

I was sitting on the metro subway on my way back to my car from Union Station. Before our train started to move, a man came and sat next to the man at the front of the car. He started talking to him, the man seemed disinterested, so he soon moved away once we started moving. He then went on to the next person on the train. I could hear faintly that he was telling him about some method of meditation. This method, whatever it is, is used by many celebrities, is cheaper than drugs or whatever, and it is meant to get rid of all stress. Say this odd chant once a day for fifteen minutes and all your stress will be gone.

As this man was talking to the second person, I realized this could be an awesome opportunity to share Christ with him. When he came to me and asked me if I wanted to know about whatever this method was called, that would be my chance to say "Sure! As long as I can tell you about Jesus also!" I then perked up in my seat, made room next to me by moving my purse to my lap, and made sure to have a friendly inviting smile that would tell this man, "Come talk to me!" He finished talking to the man, looked at me, then went to the person across the row from me.

"I am next," I thought as I then prayed more for a pure heart, to get rid of the pride of wanting to just prove him wrong, but instead show him the Truth. I had time to pray and purify my heart as the young boy he was talking to was very receptive to what he was saying and was even chanting along with him.

The man finished, looked at me as I smiled, and went to the next person sitting behind me.

He talked to everyone on the train but me. He talked to everyone, even those sleeping, reading, and with iPods blasting in their ears. Not to mention the apparent drug addicts and the just amazingly grumpy people who must have been held up at work late. He talked to them all not matter what type of wall they had up or no matter how non-receptive they seemed.

All of them except me. The one person who, from his pespective, really wanted to hear what he had to say. Why did he not talk to me? Does he even know why he didn't? I think I know...

"You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder." - James 2:19

Light scares those who live in darkness. Wow...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thats really... well, as mom put it, "eerie."

I love hearing about what God teaches you; Its very encouraging!
Miss I-won't-know-what-to-blog-about-anymore.

Love Youuuuuuu!