Saturday, January 7, 2012

Prostitute Outreach - 1/6/12

I've made it to outreach at least the last four weeks in a row. Crazy huh? It has to be a new record!

Last night one of our team members was telling us a story she heard about a woman who went on a missions trip somewhere over seas. Near the end of her trip, as she was in a taxi on the way to the airport, she had a burden in her heart to talk to some gang kids on the street. Unsure of what to say to them and afraid of getting out of the car, she threw a stack of tracts out of the car towards the kids.

It was later found out that one of the kids picked up a tract and became a Christian. He then went on to translate the Bible into the language of his town and the entire town was converted.

Wow.

I was immediately hit with the thought of how amazing God is and how he can use anything... ANYTHING... for His glory. But it wasn't until my 2am drive home last night (this morning?) that I started thinking more about the woman herself.

I am going to speculate here, but here you have a woman who has some sort of sense of adventure, boldness, and, not to mention, passion for the Gospel because she chose to go to another country in the first place. and yet, she found herself in a situation where she was scared and unsure of what to say or do. I wonder what went through her head afterward...

"I can't believe all I did was throw tracts at them. Someone bolder than me would have gotten out of the car. How could God ever use me if I am still living in fear?"

and yet... because of her small act, and God's big Hand, amazing things happened.


My thoughts were racing. My heart soaring. What is usually a difficult drive home for me was easy and exciting as all these thoughts gave me my second (ahem... ok third or fourth) wind.

How many times have I walked away from a girl on the street discouraged because I didn't feel like I said the right words, prayed the right prayer, smiled the right smile... I could go on! and day after day, blog post after blog post, I find ways to wallow in this guilt that I am not doing enough. and yet a tract that laid on the ground led to an entire town being saved. Perhaps my words and prayers aren't the greatest, but God can... no... IS using it anyway!


"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." - Romans 8:28


Outreach Update:

*M, who was in the safe house left after being there for three weeks. Her phone has been disconnected and we don't know where she is now. Please pray for her.

*Last week, I met T and she immediately asked me to take her number. You could tell she wasn't at all ready to get out yet, but she was at least open to talking to someone. I gave her one of the scarfs we made and she threw away the one she was wearing (Love it!!) A few days later I tried to call her and her phone had been disconnected.

Last night I ran into her again, still wearing the scarf! She said her phone was back on again but it was turned off because she went to jail shortly after meeting us (that seems to happen to a lot of people we meet...). She also said her boyfriend saw the gifts from us and thought she was cheating on him. He couldn't believe it was from Christians! I am going to try to call T again soon. Pray I get through and that she is receptive :)

No comments: