Sunday, December 18, 2011

Reflecting

Last night, The After Hours team threw a' First Annual After Hours Cheesy Christmas party' and let me tell you, we know how to have a cheesy party. Complete with the ugly sweaters, goofy white elephant gifts, and every item of food having some kind of cheese in it. It was pretty amazing. But those aren't the reasons it was amazing...

On our drive home from the party, the Husband and I were discussing the ministry and all the changes over this last year. It was still less than a year ago that our founders stepped down and Jen took charge of the ministry. It was just a month later that I was voted in as a board member. And it was right around that time that Jen, Julia and I, almost all our members at that time (missing a few people), sat down at Starbucks to rough draft where the ministry was going to go from there. I was excited, but wondering what God was going to do with a ministry that was back to the bare bones again.

Less than a year later, I found myself at our party with a little less than 20 people who are now a part of our team! and there were even some people missing! Not a week goes by that we don't have a least one team on the track... and sometimes we have to be broken up into multiple teams! God has grown this ministry so much! Not to mention, just this last week, a young girl we have been praying for for months made the decision to leave her pimp and is now in a safe house! Oh me of little faith... I wondered what God could or would do through three young girls... now I know!


It all brings me back to the continuous, daily struggle of 'Am I called to this? Am I fit for this kind of ministry?' A year ago it was based around the doubts that I could be of any help to a ministry that is starting from scratch again. But today, it comes from the doubts that I have much to contribute to a team that is flourishing, full of bold, Jesus loving, go-getter people while I am still timid and often doubt what God can do through me.


But God, being pretty amazing in this way (well, EVERY way), reminded me today as we finished the book of Acts in church, that the question shouldn't be about what we are called to. We know what we're called to. We're called, as Christians, to make His name known. From there, it's all about stepping out there and doing something about it. Something! Anything! So if it means knowing that a flourishing ministry needs a bookkeeper, who made not be the best but is willing, so be it. God's really good at taking care of all the details from there.


On that note,

THANK YOU for your prayers for the ministry! We covet them now more than ever as I'm sure we have the enemy's attention ;) Not to mention, it is only through Christ and because of Christ that any of this has happened or will continue. We need Him so thank you for continuing to pray. and remember to pray for our young friend who is in the safe home.


Thank you Jesus for all you've done and using us even when we feel like we have nothing You can use.

1 comment:

Standing in Grace said...

Thanks Jen :) I have been overwhelmed at God's kindness and faithfulness to us. This last year has been a true testimony that it is His work and He is able and willing. I'm so thankful for you Jen! I'm crying tears of joy right now, what an awesome God!