Thursday, November 13, 2008

Blessed are the poor... no, really...

To make up for my long absence, I am going to blog again in the same week, GASP! I know, I know... a little crazy...

Anyway, I made a joke to a friend earlier (as I was telling him my situation which I am about to go into) that maybe I should blog about it... because that's what all the cool kids do... apparently... so here I am...

Fraud... ugly, ugly thing... leaves you feeling naked, unprotected, and handicapped. Yesterday, I logged onto my bank account and saw that it had been emptied clean (I think they even licked it!) due to some special device that steals peoples card information and PIN numbers. I was shocked... but strangely calm.

As awful as it is to have something like this happen, I feel a strange freedom. I cannot spend money, even if I wanted to. I have none to spend and even if I did, no working debit card to spend it. I am, in a very weird way, enjoying having to find creative ways to not need money... like using my old train pass to get to work or eating that soup in the back of the cupboard that I have been looking over for months. I realized that with everything I already have, there is very little need for me to run up to the store for something, go to a restaurant, go get gas, go get that cup of coffee (I am loving on the hot chocolate lately!), go see a movie (Mmmm... Books...), etc...

I feel free in knowing that I don't have to spend money. Even further, a freedom in depending on God for everything I need. Sure I might realize there is something I need, but that's where faith comes in and if I model Jesus' prayer of asking for my daily bread, why should I worry? I know I will be taken care of!

"Two things I ask of you;
deny them not to me before I die:
Remove far from me falsehood and lying;
give me neither poverty nor riches;
feed me with the food that is needful for me,
lest I be full and deny you
and say, "Who is the LORD?"
or lest I be poor and steal
and profane the name of my God." - Proverbs 30:7-9

3 comments:

Lena said...

Sorry Girl!!!

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen said...

Update:

I 'officially' quit school just last week (I suppose another blog is due for that one!) and just NOW... I came home, and there was a refund check for some of my tuition... for over half of the amount of the fraud! Whoo hoo!

Yay God!