Friday, October 16, 2009

Making Trouble

Not me... Mark Driscoll. I like when I can put the blame on other people for stating so eloquently what I have always thought. And the fact that it's from a Godly man gives me even more credibility when someone gets mad at me ;)

Yesterday, Mark put up a facebook status saying:

Mark Driscoll: taking the boys out for some indoor professional baseball coaching for our guy time. Boys who don’t do sports tend to sit around playing video games eating junk, making trouble & getting diagnosed with some disorder when they need to exercise, compete, be on a team, & learn to win & lose.

After many, many comments on it... some agreeing and others arguing with what he said, he added an additional comment to it:

"It's a proven fact kids spend more time in front of the tv than in the classroom by the time they graduate high school. Throw in video games, computers, gameboys, iphones and the like and check the stats for childhood obesity and you'd be hard pressed to say unplugging and exercising would not be a good idea. We've got elementary kids getting heart surgery for the first time ever. Toss in the junk food, caffeine, and jr high kids drinking energy drinks like water and you've got a crisis. Since half my church works at Microsoft and I type for hours a day I'm not opposed to technology, but without some exercise it's deadly and kids are setting a pattern of illness that will plague them. For the neatnicks who want a verse, how about that Jesus grew in stature and we're supposed to be good stewards of the body which is God's Temple? Me, I've been guilty of not getting my exercise and rather than defending myself I hit the gym as an act of repentance and when I do it's an act of worship. I don't care if the kids, run, swim, play a sport, practice a martial art - whatever."

Thanks Pastor. Nuff said.

Anyone can say what they want, but I know how I will live my life and how my kids (Lord willing) will be raised.

3 comments:

Kathy B. said...

Amen!!!I love it, so true!

Brittney said...

Beautifully true. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Haha, so true! I love Mark. Listening to him every week is truly eye opening. His outlook on life is pretty amazing and it's all done through a gospel-perspective. Thanks for sharing my friend.