Monday, November 29, 2010

But I NEED it!

Yesterday my sister and I were sitting in small group. I looked up at the clock when it ended and realized we still had about a half hour until church service started.


"Let's go get Starbucks. I need coffee." I said.

"Jen, you don't NEED it," Courtney replied, convictingly (yes I am making up words) "You just want it." She can be so annoying... (hehe)

"No... I need it!" I protested. But instead of running to my car, I let time pass and I missed my opportunity to get some yummy coffee.



Do I ever really NEED Starbucks? A $4 cup of water filtered through delicious dirt?

Did I really NEED the 4 books I bought the other night?

Do I really NEED to have lunch out every day, those cute shoes at Target, or to go to that really expensive hair stylist instead of Supercuts?



I'm feeling convicted today. And when I feel convicted, I start posting youtube videos that I have already posted 5 times before, but the kick in the head still hurts just as much.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Interestingly, this has been on my mind lately too, especially after spending $1000 on car repairs. :( I go to coffee shops because, well, I can...and I like coffee...but I can make it myself. I go because I'm lazy. I don't want to get up earlier in the morning to make breakfast. I eat out to socialize, but I don't have to. My friends and I get together and do free things too. It's amazing the habits we can get into with no necessity whatsoever and then think we need it.
p.s. I *finally* started reading Respectable Sins. Yeah...took awhile. I think you had messaged me about it when I was in the midst of some relational upheaval. At any rate, it is good thus far. :)

Jen said...

I'm glad you started reading it girl! It took me a long time to finally pick it up too (even though my parents have owned it for quite a while...) Let me know what you think of it! :)