Friday, November 5, 2010

Ode to Fiona

Before you judge me for naming my car, if you are a parent then you have all the fun in the world naming your kids and ruining their lives with the weird name ideas that come into your head. My car is just an inanimate object. Any ridicule for the names I give my cars will only affect me. I could totally judge you with far greater reason if I wanted to, but I won't. But what I will do is continue to name my cars. (Ideas are streaming in now for my new one!)

That said, Fiona got into an accident last week. I was driving out of town for my mini vacation when I suddenly lost control of the car, slammed into the median to my left, and then went spinning across the 4 lanes of the freeway. How did I lose control? Good question. I'd like to know that myself! All I know is by the grace of God I didn't hit anyone, flip over, and no one was hurt. Whew! Well, no one... except... ::tears:: ...Fiona.

Almost 7 years ago, I purchased my first car. As a youngin' in my early 20s, it was time to make my first big purchase. (Look at how skinny I was!)

Over that time of 7 years... wow think about it! 7 years! That's longer than any job I have ever had! That's also a longer period of time than any relationship I have ever had! And let's face it... Fiona has probably suffered much more abuse than any of my boyfriends ever did... ::gulp::

Within that 7 years, I have learned how to become a better driver (or worse... depending on how you look at it... working in LA has ruined me!), I have driven her to and from Valencia, LA, San Diego, and other locations, on a REGULAR basis! I have also stuffed her full of over 30 Treasure Boxes at once (and those things are heavy too!)

She has also listened quietly as I cried my heart out through hurt friendships, lost relationships, broken engagements (well, only one. Thank goodness. Yikes!), and dealt with mean drivers. She kept secrets that no one else knows... oh dear if that girl could talk! Without complaint, she let me use words a sweet Christian girl shouldn't. She knew my sinful nature better than many!

In her last days, she had a lot of repairs needed. But she still brought me to and from work, church, home, etc... regardless of my neglect to fix her problems or clean her.

And now? Now she has been taken away by a tow truck carrying other cars that most likely have the same destiny... sold piece by piece. But me? I will easily move on. I will move on to something younger and better and forget the attachment I had with this lovely girl who wanted to do nothing more than treat me right. Sheesh I sound like a man! (I kid I kid! kinda...)


Goodbye my friend! Hugs and kisses for a car that served me well!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I will easily move on. I will move on to something younger and better and forget the attachment I had with this lovely girl who wanted to do nothing more than treat me right. Sheesh I sound like a man!"

Best line ever.