Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Dream a Little Dream

I have been having a lot of dreams lately. That's really weird for me because I rarely dream but almost every night has been some sort of a dream. Whether it is people from my past and I am dreaming we are reacquainted, or dreaming of the movie "Sphere" and everything I think of happens in real life, or... last night... which ends up teaching me a lesson.

To not go into all the details, I was at Cornerstone (you know the typical spiel... "it was Cornerstone, but it didn't look like it, but it was"... anyway...) and Francis asked the congregation a question, "Is it lazy to sleep in?" A friend of mine then went up and gave his answer and reasons why. I have no idea what he said. I am sure it was the *right* answer and it was good.

*Any of you cornerstone-ers KNOW this HAD to be a dream... Francis ASK a question about sleeping?? AND he wanted it answered by the congregation? No... he usually just says it and tells us all we are lazy slobs. Man... I miss getting my weekly beating ;)

Anyway, ever since I woke up from that this morning, it has had me thinking...

I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LAZY!!

I sleep in as late as I can to still be ready for work on time. I sleep in on weekends as late as possible. I take naps on weekends.

More importantly, what did I used to do when I woke up early? I spent time with Jesus. I prayed with my brothers and sisters. I exercised. I rarely (maybe never) needed a nap and I was awake for a LOT longer every day.



This has made me realize quite a few things:

I terribly miss Simi - I miss the intimacy with my brothers and sisters. I miss praying at 6am on Wednesdays. I miss Cornerstone church.

I miss having energy - It was amazing how much energy I had on days that I was up early praying with the group (even if the group was just three of us hehe).

I miss being active - I used to go to the gym all the time, or go hiking or on walks with people, or just did more that go to work, come home, repeat.

I miss time with Jesus - This is my fault.



When I got to work today, I read Proverbs 20 (I try to read the chapter of whatever day it is - Proverbs 20 on the 20th of the month). Wow... God is good:

"Love not sleep, lest you come to poverty;
open your eyes, and you will have plenty of bread." - Proverbs 20:13


And then just to really drill this into my head, I looked up as many verses as I could on how I should be viewing mornings:

"O LORD, in the morning you hear my voice; in the morning I prepare a sacrifice for you and watch." - Psalm 5:3

"For his anger is but for a moment,and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may tarry for the night,but joy comes with the morning." - Psalm 30:5

"But I, O LORD, cry to you; in the morning my prayer comes before you." - Psalm 88:13

"Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love, that we may rejoice and be glad all our days." - Psalm 90:14

"Let me hear in the morning of your steadfast love, for in you I trust. Make me know the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul." - Psalm 143:8

"In the morning the word of the LORD came to me." - Ezekiel 12:8

"Evening and morning and at noon, I utter my complaint and moan,and he hears my voice." - Psalm 55:17

(I added this to show I am not trying to say that everyone should be up early... God hears us at any time!)

Don't forget... when did God come to feed the Israelites with manna? In the Morning.

And of course, our Lord and Savior set an example...

"And rising very early in the morning, while it was still dark, he departed and went out to a desolate place, and there he prayed." - Mark 1:35


So yeah... I need to start waking up early. My recent lack of intimacy with God can no longer be blamed on my "busy schedule." It's all just because I am lazy. So here's to my new current life song:


How long will you lie there, O sluggard?
When will you arise from your sleep?
A little sleep, a little slumber,
a little folding of the hands to rest,
and poverty will come upon you like a robber,
and want like an armed man. - Proverbs 6:9-11


By the way, Proverbs 20 was really amazing for me today. Here are some verses that stood out to me, that maybe confirmed some recent decisions of mine, and one that made me smile :D


"It is an honor for a man to keep aloof from strife,
but every fool will be quarreling." - Proverbs 20:3

"Whoever goes about slandering reveals secrets;
therefore do not associate with a simple babbler." - Proverbs 20:19

"The glory of young men is their strength,
but the splendor of old men is their gray hair." - Proverbs 20:29

5 comments:

Kathy B. said...

I love it! I LOVE Proverbs! God has really been teaching me a lot in Proverbs lately too. My best quiet times are at about 5:15am...it sets the tone for my day. If I miss it and sleep in, I feel it:( btw, I would love to have morning prayer, I don't know what time you leave for work.

Kathy B. said...

oh yeah, and when I first saw the title Dream a Little Dream...I love that song...and the movie...have you ever seen it? I think you'd like it:)

Anonymous said...

We must be sisters because I'm a lazy slob too. I have an idea, and we've talked about this before, but apparently we've been too lazy to ever do anything about it. We need to start a morning prayer group here in Lancaster. If you can't be in Simi then we'll bring a little slice of Simi out here.

Lena said...

Thanks girl...that was totally needed...I have neglected it to in the last two weeks since I have been off work and I am feeling it BIG time...thanks for the added conviction...I needed it!

Jen said...

Thanks Kathy! It's been really cool getting back into Proverbs again. I actually don't have to be at the Palmdale Transportation center til 7:45 or 8 so I definitely have some time in the morning... of course depending on when you go swimming too hehe

And no I have never seen the movie... girl's night? ;)

I agree Courtney... let's get this thing started!! :D

aww Lena it's so easy for me to want to excuse you and say "well... you are preparing to leave for Uganda... it's ok..." But I know I shouldn't and we all need to be spurred on. I'm glad my convictions could help encourage someone else too!