Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Singles Anonymous

Hi. My name is Jen. And I am a single.


Whew! So glad to finally have that out there. It's not like it wasn't written across my forehead, right?


After working for a bit of time now in LA and coming from living in Simi Valley where there were more single people in my life than married people, I had forgotten there is another world in a far far place (called Lancaster) where people get married a lot earlier and have kids at a much younger age also. There is nothing wrong with that... not at all... but for those of us, especially in our (late!) twenties or older (wow I feel old), who haven't been "lucky enough yet" to have found "The One," we singles end up looking more like science projects to the rest. Poke Poke. Prod Prod.



Why do people always feel the need to point out the obvious, but in the form of a question? Is it supposed to not seem as intrusive if it is asked rather than stated? Like if I were to say to someone:

"Say, how's the mole on your face?"

Is that better than plainly pointing and laughing? Maybe...

Ok no but really... what's with the "How's your love life?" question? If you do 'have a love life,' I suppose it is an easy conversation to hold. But what if you don't? Most people don't settle for the "I am in love with Jesus!" answer, even though that should be MORE than sufficient...

So, you wanna know about MY love life, huh? What's with the whole singleness gig, huh?

Ok so here goes...

I don't mind being single.

GASP!!!

I know I know. But hang in there with me. It's not that I don't want to be 'un-single' someday. But, most of the time, when I am not comparing myself to others or concerned about my ever decreasing egg count (I'm a nerd, I know. My brain works strangely.), I have learned to more than embrace where God has me in my life. Here is why:

(I always end up making lists... what's with that??)

1. I can do what I want. I know that sounds selfish but it is so fun being about to take off when I want to go hang out with friends, go visit a church, go to another town for the weekend, etc... WITHOUT having to make sure my boyfriend/husband doesn't already have plans for us.

2. Not only can I do what I want, I have the choice to do what I don't want to do. What?? Explanation: There are times when unexpected things come up... a friend ends up in a hospital, a person needs help moving, someone needs help with their rent. These are things that I wouldn't necessarily want to have to do compared to other things, but if it is needed, I want to be right there without anyone wondering if I will be there, be able to count on me, or not. I want people to be able to "expect" me to be there... no matter what.

*Sorry peoples... but I am not falling into that "single people have no commitments so they are allowed to be flaky" trap... not cool*

3.Ummm... have you smelled diapers lately? Have you smelled MEN lately? Eek! ;)

4. This is where God has me. I look at all He has been doing lately through the prostitute ministry and doors He is opening here, and it gets me thinking. I have no doubt that He could choose to do these things through me even if I was married, but where I stand right now, would I want to trade any of this for something else? If this is where God wants me, as a single, then how dare I tell God His plan isn't good enough? His plan is more than good enough... It is perfect!

I get the feeling I will one day write a sequel to this blog because God always shows me new reasons why He has me single... but for now...


So there you have it. Go ahead and ask me about my love life all you want. I am in love with a man who loves me more than ANY man on Earth EVER WILL! He DIED for me! So yes... I have an amazing love life. He is all I need.

1 comment:

Artichoky said...

You know what? I don't mind being single either! I know exactly how you feel.
And I change stinky diapers daily at work already...as well as work with a bunch of 2- and 3-year-olds...I'm not ready to have my own kid yet.