Wednesday, November 4, 2009

A Unique Language

It seems I have this thing for music. Especially worship music. *Especially* Hillsong worship music. It has this affect on me to where it makes me cry or makes me really happy. If I am at a place where God wants to break me, His praises complete the brokenness in me. Or if I am broken, the words comfort me.

But whether it is worship music or not, God still speaks to me through it. It's His own creative way of catching us off guard and bringing us to a place to where we have no choice but to think about Him. Mmm... I love music.

So today on my way out to pick up my coworker for work, I was listening to... *what*... yes you guessed it: Hillsong worship music. And this song came on that hit me. It said in it's chorus:

Yes, I love you More Than Life
Oh, I love you More Than Life

Whoa. I started to belt it out but then I had to stop and ask myself:

Do I love Jesus *More Than Life*???

What would that look like to love Jesus more than life? How would my life look as a whole? How would it look on a day to day basis? Would I worry? Would I get stressed out about situations? Would I fill my life with distractions, friends, food, hiking, new relationships, girls nights, instead of spending time with Him when I need a comforter or a companion? Can I truthfully and whole heartedly sing to Jesus that I love Him *More Than Life*?

Not sure. I have to think, evaluate, and pray about that question. But until then, I am going to work on making my life look more and more like that. And during that time, I will go ahead and belt those words out, with faith that the more I focus on Him and His praises, the more He will make those words true in me.

And until then, I will keep listening to my music and letting God speak through it. Mmm... music.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

<3 I have the same feeling when I listen to Hillsong! They are amazing!! Thanks for always putting into words what I'm thinking ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh, lady, does your words pierce my heart. Do I love Jesus more than life? I, too, need to think and pray on that. I don't think I do, which I am ashamed to admit. He's working on me more each day. And each day, I try to give more to Him. So hopefully one day, I will be able to say "Yes, I do love you Jesus more than life" I don't own any Hillsong United albums, but know their songs. We used to sing them at the church I went to in Ohio, them and Phil Wickham. His words pierce my heart, too. Especially "You're Beautiful" I get tingly and excited when I sing along to that song. When we finally get to go see Jesus, the person we've learned about, talked to, invited in our hearts, it's going to be unbelievable. We will see our Lord and Savior in all his majesty, and we will bow down and worship Him. We will kiss his face, hold his hands, see where the nails pierced his skin, look into His eyes. It really makes me cry I want it so much. We will be sitting at His throne, and we will know Him. Awesome. Kind of a tangent, I know... Have a great one, Jen.

Tim;)

Anonymous said...

HA! I didn't mean for a wink, but oh well! Winky winky for you!

Tim:)