Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Wounded Man

"[Job] says of God, "So Thou dost destroy [man's] hope" (14:19). Job's experience is that of the wounded male, the man who has been wounded by life's misfortune but, being a man of faith, knows that God somehow is behind the misfortune. In this sense, a relationship with God only complicates the problem. The man without faith merely deals with the calamity, but the man of faith must wrestle with God over it... Either way, one is disappointed. But disappointment with God is sometimes more difficult to accept than dealing with suffering without God. Factoring God into the equation only heightens the struggle. " The Masculine Journey by Robert Hicks


First off, don't ask why I am reading this book. LONG story but it was actually recommended to me by someone I trust and it has been amazing how much I have been learning as I read it... about myself, God, others... specifically the men in my life... especially the ones who have had dramatic impact in my life and who I am today, like family members or others I have been/are close to. I am really grateful for this book of 'masculinity.' hehe


This quote hit me pretty hard (as many others in the book have). I thought about how many people I have known who have walked away from their faith when things got too tough to be able to believe in God anymore. And then I think of all those I know who, through tough times, have only grown closer to God during those times and have actually become all the more stronger Christians because of their trials, not regardless of them. It's so amazing to see. And so sad to contrast.

I look at these two opposing reactions of Christians in pain and it seems like there are two things present in the resilient Christian and two things lacking in the one who falls away. I don't know that there is any biblical basis for this (if there is, that's even better!), but I know it wouldn't contradict the Bible and it has remained pretty consistent through what I have experienced.

Those two things are Foundation and Fellowship. The F words of Christianity. Oops! ;)

Foundation: A person with a strong foundation in Christ is one who trusts God regardless of what others say. He is not a Christian just because his family is, because his friends are, or because that's what the church says he should be. He has dug into the Bible and found it to be truth in his life. He knows that calamity may come his way and although no one is ever fully prepared for pain, he knows it will come and he is willing to stand strong throughout it because he knows Jesus is his savior... through it all.

Fellowship: A person with fellowship will stand strong through trials because she has a band of believers who pray for her, encouage her to stay strong, and keep her accountable when she is tempted to walk away. Unlike Job's friends, they will be slow to speak unless God confirms there is something that needs to be said. Otherwise, they will be gentle with their words and love on the struggling Christian the way that Jesus would want them to... ceaselessly!


I think back on the things I have been through, the extreme trials where I have questioned God's intentions as He had "dealt bitterly with me" (Ruth 1:20), and have been tempted to walk away from my faith in Jesus completely because of it. All I can think of then is how thankful I am to God for establishing in me a foundation that no one and nothing can shake... no matter how tempted I have been to turn away, I could never do it. It would be against everything in me to do so. And I am also thankful for fellowship. I am thankful for family members, friends, pastors, and mentors who have loved me through trials and have continuously fed me reminders of God's faithfulness when I have needed it. And of course I am thankful for Jesus who provides it all... the foundation, the fellowship, and for the trials themselves. They have made me who I am today.

"For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong."
- 2 Corinthians 12:10

Ironic that a post written on Thanksgiving would end in thankfulness to the only One who truly deserves it? Nah. Not ironic. More than appropriate, in fact!

No comments: