Thursday, July 8, 2010

Reading, Reading, Reading!

I go through these spurts. At times I can hardly find the time to read. Other times, I can't get enough of books! This is one of those times that I can't get enough. I feel like 'Number 5' in the movie Short Circuit:

"Need more Input! Need more Input!"




In the process, I have a new appreciation for dead guys. Not in a creepy sense, but in that I love the old writers... the way they talk, the type of insight they provide, and for those that walked with Jesus, the fact that they have now finished the race and are up in Heaven eternally praising our Lord... Love that!

Of the 'dead guys,' I can't seem to get enough of Jonathan Edwards. He rocks! At first the way he wrote really intimidated me, but the more I get used to him, the more I love his writing style! I also love the way God is showing me more of His glory through Edwards' writing. It's been such a neat adventure!


Speaking of dead guys... I have never been huge on Mark Twain (no specific reason) but today I gained a new appreciation for him because of a 'simple' quote:

"I haven't any right to criticise books, and I don't do it except when I hate them. I often want to criticise Jane Austen, but her books madden me so that I can't conceal my frenzy from the reader; and therefore I have to stop every time I begin. Everytime I read 'Pride and Prejudice' I want to dig her up and beat her over the skull with her own shin-bone."

- Mark Twain, Letter to Joseph Twichell, 13 September 1898


Now don't get me wrong... I LOVE Jane Austen. But this tickled me regardless. I think he will be next on my list of 'dead guys' to get to know ;)

2 comments:

Nathan Macy said...

"The Dead Guys" are almost always great. At times reading them is like walking through a different culture, their grasp of the English language is is scarcely seen today, and I always find it refreshing. Twain is one of my favorite authors, and so it shocks me that you have little appreciation for his works. Oh well, different tastes, but if you want to "get to know" him I would suggest "letters to the earth". It is one of my favorite works by Twain.

Jen said...

Hey thanks for the suggestion! I have always at least 'appreciated' Twain, but just never had a lot of exposure. I'm excited to start reading more of his works! :)