Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Cartoons Taught Me Everything I Know

When it comes down to it, I am more of a Simpsons girl than anything else, but from time to time, I have found myself enjoying 'King of the Hill.'

While there can be a lot of stupidity found in shows like these, every so often nuggets of gold show up when you don't expect it. And they are usually from the father, Hank, which you really don't expect even more.



The episode, 'Reborn to be Wild,' when Bobby joins up with a church where they all insist that you have to have a Mohawk and piercings to follow Christ, is one of those examples! (P.S. I'm not against Mohawks or anything else they mention in this episode... I LOVE that Christians come in all shapes, sizes, and colors! I just really appreciate the lessons taught through this...)


Bobby: I can't believe you are making me do this. It is so UNCOOL!
Hank: You know what's not cool? HELL!

(Uh oh! Does Mark Driscoll get his material from King of the Hill also?? hehe)


Bobby: (Referring to his planned tattoo) Dad, it's just my way of giving mad respect to the Lord.
Hank: Bobby, the Lord has been getting mad respect since the beginning of time, he does not want you defacing your body.

(Like I said, I'm not against tattoos... AT ALL! I just like the mad respect part lol)

My Favorite:

BOBBY: When I turn 18, I'm going to do whatever I want for the Lord. Tattoos, piercings, you name it.
HANK: Well, I'll take that chance. Come here, there's something I want you to see. (Hank takes down a box from the shelf and opens it up) Remember this?
BOBBY: My beanbag buddy? Oh, man, I can't believe I collected those things. They're so lame.
HANK: You didn't think so five years ago. And how about your virtual pet? You used to carry this thing everywhere. Then you got tired of it, forgot to feed it, and it died.
BOBBY: (looks at a photo of himself in a Ninja Turtles costume): I look like such a dork.
HANK: I know how you feel. I never thought that "Members Only" jacket would go out of style, but it did. I know you think stuff you're doing now is cool, but in a few years you're going to think it's lame. And I don't want the Lord to end up in this box.

Amen!

3 comments:

Katie Alicea said...

Mad respect to Hank Hill! :) I love that last line. We don't want to get so caught up in the "fads" and "trends" that are present in churches today that we forget that Jesus is the same yesterday, today, and forever. And no matter what the church does to attract people or what the people of the church do to express themselves, they can never "out-cool" Jesus. Jesus created cool! This really got me thinking! Thank you! :)

Erik said...

Amen sister. There's an interesting article in Christianity Today about "When Cool Meets Christ." You should read it. Just do a search for "Hipster Faith" on their website.

Jackie said...

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I love it when cartoons say stuff no one else dares to say.