Friday, September 10, 2010

Tolerance - D.A. Carson

“Twenty five years ago ‘tolerance’ was understood to be a virtue that operated something like this: If I hold strong views on any particular subject I am nevertheless judged to be ‘tolerant’ if I think that your views are bad, immoral, improper, even disgusting, wicked or stupid, but still insist you have the right to defend them. In other words, a ‘tolerant’ person puts up with somebody else’s views and insists they have the right to hold them even while – in the vigorous arena of debate – we might disagree fundamentally on who is right or who is wrong. Such a person is a ‘tolerant’ person.

But nowadays, that is not what ‘tolerance’ means. Now ‘tolerance’ means that you don’t hold that anybody is right or wrong. Everybody is equally right or wrong. Nobody is more right than another person. If you don’t hold that then you are ‘intolerant.’ Now that is a huge shift … Under this new definition of ‘tolerance’ I don’t even know what ‘tolerance’ means because in the old view of ‘tolerance’ you had to disagree with someone before you could actually tolerate them. How do you say ‘Oh, yes, you are entirely right – I tolerate you?’ … This new ‘tolerance’ actually becomes extremely intolerant of anybody who does not buy into this view of ‘tolerance’ because if you actually come right out and say that some view is wrong or silly or foolish or indefensible or even questionable, then you are judged to be ‘intolerant.’ Thus, in the name of this newfangled tolerance it turns out, at profoundly deep levels, to be the most intolerant thing of all!”

- D.A. Carson, Evangelism in the 21st Century (session 2)
http://spurgeon.wordpress.com/category/da-carson/


P.S. I like it when I can steal someone else's words to say what I think. The end. ;)

4 comments:

Missy said...

Amen!

Beth said...

I found your blog as a result of clicking the links on other people's blogs. Your recap of the evening made my heart jump! I will be praying for your outreach and for the people you spoke with that night.

Beth said...

The previous comment was supposed to be for 9/11's post! Sorry I'm just caught up in your blog. :o)

Jen said...

Thanks for your prayers Beth! :)