Sunday, August 1, 2010

Sometimes Kids Smell

"The effect [James 1:27] has on me is to make me want to love like Jesus loved and not always be thinking of the earthly payoff. Face it. A few kids are cute, but most streets kids will be thankless, rude, dirty, diseased, scar-faced, shifty-eyed, lice-infested, suspicious, smelly, and have rotten teeth. If we minister mainly for the earthly payoff, we will burn out in a year.

Jesus did not say, "True religion is converting orphans." He did not say, "True religion is making orphans mature and successful adults." He said, "True religion is visiting orphans." Results are God's business alone. Obedience is ours by his grace. More specifically, by faith in future grace. Perhaps when we grasp this, we will be freed from our earthbound way of thinking and released to minister to the ones who are least likely to thank us." - John Piper, A Godward Life



I used this exact quote once before, but it came to my mind again...

First, because I am reading through James every day for this month and every time I get to 1:27, it hits me. Hard.


Secondly, because my world was slightly rocked last night and this quote from this book immediately popped into my head and I had to continually repeat it to myself as encouragement.

It was at my 4th-6th grade class at church. No they aren't orphans (well... most aren't) and no they aren't "thankless, rude, dirty, diseased, scar-faced, shifty-eyed, lice-infested, suspicious, smelly, and have rotten teeth"... at least not all the time ;) (I kid I kid!)

What made it come to me was that it was a rough night with them (It was one of the first times too that it was rough which is pretty good after almost 6 months of being in that class... right? Either way...) A big part of it could have been my attitude and that I was pretty tired from the day. But also, it had to do with the fact that they kept talking when they shouldn't, complaining when they were hungry, fighting over communion cups, complaining when they were thirsty, cutting each other off, complaining when they had to use the restroom, tattle-telling, etc, etc, etc. Oh! and did I mention they complained a lot?? I understand they are kids and I need to be gracious, but last night, I just wanted to RUN! What followed was the conscious reminder that I had just recommitted to another 6 months of children's ministry... all I could think was, "what HAVE I done??"

But then I thought of what Piper said. "If we minister mainly for the earthly payoff, we will burn out in a year... Results are God's business alone. Obedience is ours by his grace."

I had to keep in mind that I can't be ministering to these kids because I think they are cute and fun and smart and whatever else because there will be times when they are NOT cute and fun and smart. There will be times when I just want to throw them (perhaps even literally) back to their parents, wipe my hands, and walk away. But if I am ministering out of obedience and because this is where God has me, then the motivation is different. I will take the complaining, fighting, and disrespectful attitudes with a better attitude because I won't be doing it to make myself feel good. I will be doing it because God loves it when we love His little ones.


Funny thing about all of it (maybe not "funny haha" though) is that I have been convinced my whole life that I DO NOT have the gift of teaching. I almost majored in math in college but opted out of that because I thought that meant I would have to teach math. So I chose accounting (did I make the right decision?? Hmmm...) I have built my life around (or so I thought) avoiding the role of teacher.

And yet, here I am. God asked me to teach. I warned him too... "Lord you know that's not my gift. But fine fine! I will do it! Sheesh!" (Yes... my attitude really does stink that bad sometimes.)

The most AMAZING part about that though is that while I still don't think it's my 'gift' and that I am still not very good at it, when we are obedient and do what God asks, God imparts the skills to us WHEN we need it. The fact that I can even hold the attention of 15 kids for more than 5 minutes is a miracle to me! And ALL the Glory goes to Him for it! Crazy how the very thing I never thought I could do God has equipped me when I finally took that step of faith and let Him use me!

So lesson of the weekend? Be obedient. Love the kids no matter how scary that is. And? Stop questioning!

"God doesn’t promise us understanding. He promises us peace beyond understanding. Trust more, question less." – Britt Merrick

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are all 'Jonahs' in our own special way. ;)

Love ya Jen.

Anonymous said...

I love this post jen! I almost want to copy and paste, as I am pretty much in the exact same situation. I never thought I had the gift of teaching and never thought I would become a teacher. Here I am many years later and teaching. I was amazed when God brought me into the Guardian ministry at Cornerstone and I began teaching the Bible to special needs kids. I still don't think I'm very gifted at communication to children, but Christ is definitely using me (trained or not) in that field for a purpose. It's amazing how God works through us, especially when we are convinced that we are right and our ways are more logical than His. Haha!!! So excited for you girl!